1. I’m a total grammar snob. It’s difficult for me to take someone seriously if they consistently misspell words or use them in the wrong context… it’s the pretentious English major in me.
2. I don’t care what anyone says, I absolutely adore Lady Gaga. She’s incredibly talented, she’s amazingly thoughtful and intentional about her art, and she’s a relentless advocate for a relentlessly marginalized group of people. Every time I listen to “Born This Way” I get choked up because it’s such a loving and affirming message for people who really need it.
3. I used to want to have ten kids when I grew up. I think big families are awesome. There are three kids in my family and my parents always say that they wish they had had more, so I figured if I had ten kids, I wouldn’t be in danger of wishing I’d had more too. The number has been whittled down to a mere four in the past couple years, and I still want kids someday, but I don’t want to get married (like, ever) so that may not happen.
4. When I was studying abroad in South Africa almost three years ago, I was proposed to by a South African. I met him in Stellenbosch and we played Jenga together at a pub called the Brazen Head. We started talking about families and as it turns out we both wanted a big family, so he asked me to marry him. He said he would give my parents cows as a dowry (!). I kind of thought he was joking, but he kept Facebooking me after that and referring to me as his fiancee, so I had to let him down easy and remind him that I was twenty years old and we lived on different continents. I found out that he died in a car accident about two months ago, and I was so sad. Meeting him and being proposed to by him was one of my fondest memories of South Africa.
5. I’m a really picky eater. Among the foods I can’t stand: olives, mushrooms, mayonnaise, alfredo pasta, tomatoes, pulled pork, ranch dressing, sushi, and anything/everything that could be classified as sea food.
6. I’m typing this at a laundromat. :)