I have a home decor/upholstery story to tell, and it’s a doozie.
When I moved into my apartment at the beginning of November, I had no furniture to speak of, save for a bed and some bookshelves. My mom flew out to Seattle from Savannah to help me buy some furniture and get all moved in, and we had kind of a difficult time finding furniture for my apartment. I live on the third floor and the stairwell is both low-ceilinged and very narrow, so it’s a struggle to maneuver even small furniture up the stairs. I had dreamed of getting this orange leather loveseat from Ikea, but once my mom and I got to Ikea and were able to see it in real life, we knew that there was no way that it would fit up the stairs. I was kind of devastated.
We did, however, find a chaise lounge in the As-Is section that was a great price and that we felt could potentially fit up the stairs. It was completely bare, but we found a pretty blue Ikea cover to go with it and we were feeling optimistic. We were able to get chaise up the stairs, which was fantastic, but once we got it into the living room and started to put the cover on, we realized that it didn’t even fit! It was too tight or too loose in all the wrong places and just looked terrible. I was incredibly annoyed with Ikea, and with the entire situation.
My mom, ever that glass-half-full kind of lady, suggested that I should just return the Ikea cover and upholster the chaise myself. I’ve always wanted to upholster a piece of furniture, and was excited to be able to choose my own fabric and use both my sewing skills and a staple gun, so I decided that I would take on the challenge.
I had a picture of the chaise lounge before I started doing any work on it, but somehow it got deleted from my computer. Here is a phone picture I took of it after I finished the frame:
I sewed the piece for the backing and used a staple gun for the rest of the frame. From there, I sewed a cover for the cushion and also sewed some pillows with piping so that I wouldn’t have to sit on the chaise with my back up against the hard wall. This is the end result:
I’m so happy with how it turned out! I love the pattern and colors of the fabric and because the walls and carpet in my living room are so dark, I think it brightens things up. The fabric and the pillow forms only cost about $125 (and I have tons of fabric leftover), and I probably spent 5 hours total stapling and sewing this piece of furniture into a more beautiful existence. And now that I know I’m capable, I want to buy up a bunch furniture and re-upholster all of it!